Ron Raymond's TOP 10 Sports Betting Tips
| Since 1996, Ron Raymond has been one of the first pioneers of the online handicapping business and has developed and created over 20+ sports handicapping gaming sites. Ron is the creator and inventor of the ATS Calculator and has created many other sports betting tools like the ATS Database.
Ron Raymond Quote - "Everybody wants to get rich now; nobody wants to wait to get rich! Instead of trying to hit a home run at each plate appearance, why not settle for a single first!"
Top 10 Betting Tips
Ron Raymond is one of Canada’s Top Sports Handicappers and he’s writing a book about his Top 100 Sports betting tips. Ron says; “sports betting today is much like flipping a quarter, anybody with a thumb can make money betting sports!” In fact, now that there’s a salary cap in nearly every sport, every team is well balanced, so how do you handicap a coin flip? Here are 10 sports gambling tips from Ron’s book on how to bet on football and other sports.
*Note: The 10 betting tips you see below are not ranked in any specific order, as they are excerpts from Ron’s book.
1. Division Sandwich: In the NFL, you have some really strong divisions year in and year out. Look at the NFC East division; you have the Giants, Eagles and Cowboys. Those are 3 teams who have a history of winning football games and ownership who are committed to their fans and winning. Here’s what you do. You look at the NFL Schedule and see if you can catch one of these teams between division games. For example; In week 1 the Cowboys are playing the Giants, Week 2 they face the Buffalo Bills and in Week 3 they face the Philadelphia Eagles. This is known as a division sandwich, therefore, play against the Cowboys in Week 2 vs. the Bills, as the Cowboys are coming off a tough division game and they have a strong division game on deck. Normally in this situation, the emotional toll is not as heavy for the team caught in the division sandwich and they might have a letdown vs. the team caught in the division sandwich.
2. Bet against the Pollsters: Here’s the difference between a sports reporter and a gambler. One loves to talk a good game, the other loves to collect after a game! Sports reporters have a job to sell articles and papers, sports handicappers and gamblers just want to collect their winnings to keep working. Because if a sports handicapper or gambler can’t win for a living, then they will end up talking a good game for a living. The media experts who predict the polls at the beginning of the season are usually ex athletes or coaches who go on hearsay, and when the week 1 college football odds come out, the sharp bettors usually bet against the top 5 teams who are heavy favorites. Tip: Look for double digit favorites in the first week of College Football that are ranked in the top 5 in the pre season polls.
3. Ron’s Rule of Thumb of Betting: If you’re a parlay type bettor and like to bet the total and side of a game, here’s what I tell my clients. If you bet on the Favorite, take the OVER, if you like the UNDERDOG, take the UNDER. The reasoning behind this logic is simple. For example; let’s say a team is favored by 7 points or more and the OVER is 44.5, all you need is for the underdog to get up ahead or stay in the game as long as they can, because the favorite is more likely to catch up and put up some points on the board to cover your over. As for the dog, if they can keep the favorite off the board, your percentage of the UNDER and dog covering is in your favor.
4. Read the Box scores: Reading the box scores is one of the oldest tricks in the business, but make sure you know what you’re looking for! Don’t just read the box scores to see the rushing or passing yards, because 60% of the stats in a box score will be about the same for each team, but you want to focus on “how a team lost a game”. Did a team turnover the ball 5 times, did the QB throw 4 interceptions and that team is a UNDERDOG this week? Stats like these are very important when reviewing the box score, because they don’t show up in the betting number the following week by the bookmakers. Do you think the Bookmakers will tell you this type of information? Give your head a shake, they want your money and want you to be part of their 90% club! What do you think the coach is going to focus on during practice the entire week if their team just had 9 turnovers last week? Follow the line and see if they are an underdog and if the UNDER is worth a look.
5. Look ahead Factor: Again, these types of situational handicapping strategies are best used betting on college football or basketball. In college sports, especially in the SEC and the BIG 10, you have some major rivals, like Florida vs. Florida State, Michigan vs. Ohio State. Here’s what you’re looking for, you want to bet against teams who have a MAJOR RIVAL GAME ON DECK next week. Let’s say, Michigan is playing Buffalo Bulls in Week 10 and they have Ohio State in Week 11. Depending on each teams situation, bet against Michigan and Ohio State in this spot. However, make sure both teams are having good seasons.
How to Bet on Sports
Step 1: Open a betting account at Bookmaker.com
Step 2: Fund your account with your credit card.
Step 3: Once logged in, click on “Sportsbook” in the top left hand corner.
Step 4: Select Sport: NFL, CFB, CFL, NHL, MLB, ETC..
Step 5: Find your options ie; Single Game bet, Props, O/U
Step 6: Make your bet and confirm it!
6. How does a Sportsbook make money: Here’s how the bookmaker make money. The job of a bookmaker is to get balance action on a game using the lay $11 to win $10 rule or the 11/10 rule. Let’s use this example on the Denver Broncos -3.5 vs. Oakland Raiders +3.5 game line.
- Mike bets $110 dollars to win $100 on the Denver Broncos -3.5
- Ron bets $110 dollars to win $100 on the Oakland Raiders +3.5
Bookmaker accepts both bets and holds the $220 in the bank. The game is over and Denver wins the game 30-10, so Mike wins his bet. The Bookmaker then gives Mike $100 for winning the bet and his original $110 he wagered. Which leaves the bookmaker with a profit of $10, as the bookmaker took $100 dollars from Ron’s bet to pay Mike and kept $10 to the house.
7. NHL BACK TO BACK Game Situation: One of the most popular systems I look for in betting hockey games, I look for home teams who play in back to back games situation and are coming off a road lost of 3 goals or more. Example: If the Boston Bruins played on the Road vs. Montreal on January 10th and lost the game 6-3. The next day (January 11th) they play at home vs. Toronto, play on Boston in the second game. It has to be a blowout lost in the first game, as there’s more value in the second game.
8. The Revenge Game Factor: The Revenge angle is HUGE in College Sports, as this is the coach’s main motivational pre-game speech or it might be the focal point in practice the entire week. It will go something like this; “Remember how Florida State gave it to us 65-3 on our home field last year, remember how embarrassed we were in front of our fans! Are we going to let them get away with that again this year or are we going to make a statement this week.” This is the type of stuff the coaching staff will say to his players in practice this week and in the end, you have one jacked up UNDERDOG football team! Revenge is huge in collegiate sports.
9. First Game on the Las Vegas Schedule: Each week, the Las Vegas and Offshore Sportsbooks release their official NFL and College football (CFB) odds schedules of the games of the week. Keep an eye out on the first game at the top of the NFL and College Football schedule, as this is usually the “sucker line of the week” game. The Sportsbooks will review the games going on that week and try to find the easiest game to trap the public with and then set their sucker lines, knowing Joe Public will hammer that team. Again, you need to have a sharp eye to this stuff, because the sucker line could be the total!
10. Mano-a-mano Under Pitching Matchup: According to Wikipedia, Mano-a-mano is a Spanish and Italian construction meaning "hand to hand". It was used originally for bullfights where two matadors alternate competing for the admiration of the audience. In baseball, whenever you have two Latin pitchers or pitchers from South America going head to head vs. each other, they will want to out duel their countryman. Example: Let’s say you have two pitchers from a small town in Mexico going head to head vs. each other, you don’t think that town’s newspaper will make a big media deal out of this showdown? Therefore, these two pitchers will take great pride in this game and pitch their hearts out and there’s a good chance that game will go UNDER the total. Then when the games over, one pitcher can say to the other pitcher; “dude, who’s your daddy!”
|Ron Raymond is a 4-time NFL Handicapping Champion and the owner and founder of the Phoenix Sports Ticket. Ron has reviewed some games for NFL Week 1 and he’s released some NFL tips and picks for your review. Why wait, join the PST 9th annual NFL football contest and win some easy money.
Recommended Online Sportsbook
Each betting season, sports gamblers are looking for a new sportsbook to open a wagering account and one of the main attractions when opening a sportsbook is receiving a bonus on your 1st deposit. Sports Handicapper Ron Raymond of Phoenix Sports Ticket recommends the following Sportsbooks, Casinos and Poker Sites.
Recommended Sportsbooks: Online Sportsbooks
Bookmaker Sportsbook: Where the Line Originates and check out their new parlay and teaser cards for this NFL betting season.
SBGGlobal Sportsbook: SBG Global has become one of Ron’s favorite books with some of the best bonuses in the industry.